5 minute read
So you’ve ruled out a sand filter, and the options are endless with cartridge filters, here we will outline the best cartridge pool filters on the market suited for any application.
The size cartridge filter you require heavily depends on the size of your pool, under sizing your filter will be nothing but a headache for you and keeping it clean, but also oversizing it may cause issues if your pump is not powerful enough, resulting in a loss of suction and poor water flow.
Obviously, the larger your pool, the larger filtration area is required, which, "surprise, surprise", the larger filter is needed. Many brands will state the filtration surface area required for their application and even a flow rate to correctly match a pool pump for optimum operation.
We have outlined some key points to consider with a cartridge filter.
- Cartridge filters require much less experience to install and are much quicker to connect to pool equipment, they do not require a backwash line!
- Cartridge-style filters can crack and break fairly easily when left out in inclement weather, especially direct, hot sunlight.
- The filtration elements require replacing yearly, You may find yourself needing to replace this type of filter more often if you experience heavy bathing loads or excessive chemicals.
- It's much harder to clean a pool with a cartridge filter, and once the pool is green (or black) it usually requires a new element.
- Cartridge filters may need more maintenance and more frequent cleans than sand filters.
Basic cartridge filter maintenance tips
- Check your cartridge once per month. Remove the element and give it a quick hose to remove any debris, this will ensure the filter is working properly and keep your pool clear.
- Thoroughly soak your cartridge every 3 months. This should be a simple soaking process during which you place the filter in a large tub with filter cleaning solution (Napisan works the best!) and plenty of water to cover it. You will then need to rinse it fully and then put back into the tank for operation. For this reason, it may be helpful to have two separate filters to swap out
- Replace your cartridge every year, many can see 24 months of use if you perform regular cleaning on them.
Choosing the best cartridge pool filter system can be a little bit of a challenge, but with this article to back you up, you never have to worry about making the wrong decision again.
Zodiac Titan CF Series Cartridge Filter
Compact in design with a small footprint, the Titan Series CF Cartridge Pool Filters are ideal for confined spaces. No need to backwash, simply hose down the element when required. Save hundreds of litres of water per year compared to backwashing a sand filter (on average you are using 750 litres of water per backwash with a sand filter).
The element is made from Reemay materials providing superior filtration and a long life. The tank is covered by a 2 Year Warranty and 1 Year Warranty on all other parts
- Constructed from highly durable UV resistant materials
- Lightweight design for ease of installation and maintenance
- Screw type air bleed for easy removal of any trapped air within the filter
- High-quality oil filled pressure gauge
- Tank is covered by a 2 year warranty and 1 year on other parts
- A cartridge filters a finer dirt particle (approx 8 micron) than a sand filter (between 15 - 25 micron)
- The element is made from Remay materials that provides superior filtration and long life
Waterco Trimline CC100 Series Cartridge Filter
Trimline cartridge filter housings are designed for top loading with an easy locking ring system requiring no additional tools for simple filter cartridge removal and replacement. Constructed from high impact polypropylene and designed for easy maintenance, Trimline cartridge filters will give years of trouble free service.
The quick release lid locking ring for easy removal when the cartridge element needs to be cleaned. Allowing a more effective filtration area a cartridge filter takes up less space when compared to sand or D.E. filters. They are lightweight, compact and easy to install
- Air relief valve
- Easy to read pressure gauge
- Hand operated lid lock ring, allowing simple cartridge removal and replacement
- High impact polypropylene body
- Pleated filter cartridge
- 40mm half unions
Onga Pantera Series Cartridge Filter
The compact Onga Pantera range of Cartridge Filters makes them ideal for confined spaces. A Cartridge Filter offers a more effective filtration area for the space taken. When water is in short supply a Cartridge Filter is a wise choice, as there is minimal waste-water due to no backwash cycle.
- Ease of Access When Cleaning - The Onga Pantera Filters use a quick release lid locking ring for easy removal when the cartridge element needs to be cleaned
- Compact Design - Allowing a more effective filtration area a cartridge filter takes up less space when compared to sand filters. They are lightweight, compact and easy to install
- 40mm and 50mm Plumbing - For ease of installation the Onga Pantera range of cartridge filters inlcudes connections for both 40mm and 50mm plumbing for hassle free connection
- Warranty: 5 Years on tank and 6 months manufacturing defects for the element
Davey Easy Clear Series Cartridge Filter
The Davey CrystalClear cartridge filter has been specially designed for the swimming pool owner who is after clean water without the higher cost of backwashing. The range on offer suits small to medium sized swimming pools and designed for easy installation and maintenance.
Supplied with a pressure gauge to identify when cleaning is required, the Davey Crystal Clear cartridge filter range is perfect for low flow pumping and for use with the Davey PowerMaster ECO and Silensor ECO swimming pool pumps.
Air relief valve
Easy to read pressure gauge
Hand operated lid lock ring, allowing simple cartridge removal and replacement
High impact polypropylene body
Pleated filter cartridge
Astral Pool ZX Series Cartridge Filter
ZX Cartridge Filters are a small compact design, that does not require a back washing line so they are ideal for places or situations where waste water disposal or water restrictions are in force. With the use of antimicrobial elements your pool or spa will be bacteria free and require less maintenance.
- Oil filled pressure gauge for accurate readings and long life
- Easy to remove lid - lifts off gently when unwinding the large lock ring
- Self lock on lock ring prevents over tightening and locks in position to prevent accidental loosening
- 3 inlets and 1 outlet enable easy position and replacement of older cartridge filters
- Barrel union connections enable easy service and replacement in future
- Less maintenance required
- Antimicrobial elements used for cleaner water