Ahhh, summer is in the air. Time to take off the pool covers and cool off with a nice refreshing dip. But before you jump in for the first time (or after any extended period of time that your pool sat idle) here's a handy checklist from top to toe of your pool, to make sure that eveything is TRULY ready for summer.
Remove and Store the Pool Cover
We get it, you're excited to get the summer swim season started (I mean, who isn't) but here are some quick things to keep in mind when it comes to first opening your swimming pool for the summer.
- Don't be a cover yanker, gently lift it off to avoid a watery disaster
- Give your cover some TLC with a rinse and scrub to remove algae and debris buildup
- Keeping your cover in top condition prevents damage when storing it for the summer
- With an Australian heatwave on the horizon, you won't be needing that cover anytime soon
Thanks to your cover, your pool water only needs minor adjustments
Don't have a pool cover yet? Check out our guide on why you should get one and how to easily fit it - click the button below!.
Visual Pool Inspection
Visually Inspect the Pool
We know it’s tempting to jump into the water, but hold off just for a little bit. Here are some things to visually inspect before moving on to the rest of the checklist:
- Check for floaties - and we're not talking about your favorite pool toy.
- Make sure the water is crystal clear, not cloudy like your ex's judgment.
- Look out for any creepy crawlies that might have taken up residence in your pool.
- Give the diving board a good shake - you don't want any surprises mid-air.
- Check the pool's perimeter for any sharp edges or cracks - you don't want to end up with a new scar.
And if you do find anything that doesn't belong in your pool, be sure to scoop them out before doing any further prep on your pool.
The next step is to check the water levels. The water should reach the skimmer to ensure proper water circulation. Again, if you had a cover, this shouldn’t be much of an issue. But if the water is low, top it off to reach the required levels.
Skimmers and Fittings
Checking your Skimmers and Fittings
1. Basket Bonanza: Uncover the hidden treasures in your skimmer basket. Clear out leaves, toys, and the occasional rogue swim cap. Your pool's version of pre-spring cleaning.
2. Vacuum Plate Date: Give your vacuum plate a good once-over. Ensure it's securely in place and free from any cracks. Let's keep those cleaning sessions efficient and drama-free.
3. Weir-tastic Performance: Show your weir door some love. Double-check it's intact and moves freely. No obstacle should stand between your pool and perfectly flowing water.
4. Funky Fittings: Examine your skimmer fittings for any signs of cracks or leaks, and replace if necessary to prevent less-than-optimal performance or water loss. Something so small, yet easily overlooked.
Pump Up the Pranks: While inspecting, unleash your inner prankster. Surprise your fellow pool fam with a pool-themed joke or pun. Have you ever seen those videos of fake snakes in the skimmer basket? Hilarious.
Remember, a well-maintained skimmer and fitting system ensures a summer of splashes.
Next up on the pre-season inspection is the heart of your pool, your pump.
Let’s dive into your quick and easy checklist:
- Inspect those O-rings: Give your unions and lid O-ring some love! Look for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Remember, a little TLC goes a long way.
- Don't forget the pump basket: Take a peek at your pump basket and make sure it's in good shape. Clean out any debris that may have accumulated. Replace it if it’s cracked. Let's keep things flowing smoothly.
- Time for some lubrication magic: Grab a silicone-based lubricant and coat those O-rings generously. This will create a better seal and extend the life of the rubber. Who knew a little slickness could go a long way?
- Keep an eye on the water level: Check your pool's water level. If it's too low, it can put extra strain on the pump. Let's make sure it has enough liquid courage to keep those good times going.
- Schedule a dance-off with your pump: Turn on your pool pump and listen for any unusual noises or vibrations. If something seems off, it's time to call in the experts. Let's make sure your pump has all the right moves for a headache-free summer.
Next up on the pre-season inspection is the hardest worker of them all, your filter. Regardless of if you’re working with cartridge or sand, we’ve got you covered.
Let’s dive into your quick and easy checklist:
- Filter Finesse: Examine your pool filter for any signs of wear and tear. Replace the cartridge element if required, and consider having a spare ready to rotate between. Two is better than one when it comes to filter perfection.
- Cleanse and Refresh: Use our Water TechniX filter cleaner to give your cartridge element a thorough cleaning. Your water clarity will thank you.
- Union, Lid, O-Rings: Take a close look at these vital components of your filter system. Inspect them for any signs of damage or leaks. If needed, replace them and ensure a watertight seal. Remember, teamwork makes the dream work.
- Gauge the Pressure: Check the pressure gauge on your filter. If it's showing signs of wear or not functioning correctly, it's time for a replacement. Keep your filter in peak performance by giving it the attention it deserves.
- Lubricate with love: If your filter's union, lid, or o-rings require lubrication, don't shy away from giving them some tender care. A little lubrication can go a long way in ensuring smooth operation and preventing any unwanted squeaks or leaks.
Chlorinator (if you have one)
Next up on the pre-season inspection is the sanitiser, the one that automatically protects you and the littles from middle ear infections, the chlorinator.
Let’s dive into your quick and easy checklist:
- Self-Cleaning or Not, Show Your Cell Some Love: Even a reverse polarity (self-cleaning) cell needs maintenance. Give it a good clean with salt cell cleaner once a year to banish calcium build-up and ensure optimum production.
- Bye-Bye, Inefficient Cell: If your cell is no longer producing like a champion, it's time to bid it farewell. Replace it with a shiny new one and let the chlorine flow like a boss.
- Cables and O-Rings: Take a moment to inspect those unsung heroes—your cables and O-rings. Replace or grease them as needed, ensuring they stay in top-notch shape. They deserve some love too.
- Embrace the Clean, Embrace the Summer: A clean pool is a happy pool. Before the summer madness begins, inspect your chlorinator and give it a big thumbs up. It's your partner in crime for a sanitised and sparkling season.
Dealing with Calcium Build Up
We're going to be totally honest here, calcium build-up affects almost all pools over the winter, unless of course you've taken real good care of your pool over the break, there's nothing to be ashamed of. Here are some quick tips on how to deal with them now that the summer is here.
- Calcium Chronicles: Look out for hard-to-miss signs of calcium build-up on your pool shell. Those stubborn white deposits are like the barnacles of the swimming pool world. The sooner you can tackle it, the better.
- Say Hello to Scaletec: Introduce your pool to the marvelous chemical called Scaletec! It's like a magical elixir that softens the hard calcium build-up, making it easier to remove. Imagine it as a gentle spa treatment for your pool, giving it a fresh and rejuvenated look. Your pool will thank you for this pampering session.
- Patience, Young Padawan: Remember, great things take time! Removing calcium build-up is a process that usually takes around a month. So be patient, and let Scaletec work its magic. It's like a slow dance where your pool learns to let go of those clingy calcium deposits, one step at a time.
- Cool it Down: Timing is everything! Conducting the calcium removal process during the cooler months is ideal. Why, you ask? Well, it allows for more leniency in adjusting your water chemistry while the pool is being treated. So, embrace the cooler temperatures and get the ball rolling on your pool's calcium cleanse.
Fun Fact: Did you know? Calcium build-up can be a bit of a rebel when it comes to water chemistry. By tackling it during the cooler months, you're giving yourself a bit of wiggle room to adjust other aspects of your pool's chemistry without breaking a sweat. It's like having a pool party with your water chemistry, where everything flows smoothly!
Need more help in dealing with scale or want to prevent it the next time around? Click the button below and bookmark the page for future reference.
Summer is approaching, and it's time to brighten your pools life. Here's a quick rundown
- Light identification made easy: Not sure about your light's make and model? Just send us photos at email@example.com. We'll figure it out and recommend a retro replacement. Mystery solved.
- Troubleshoot like a pro: Lights not shining? Disconnect the cable behind the light, then use a multimeter to test for 12 volts and 9 amps. Got it? If yes, blame the light and replace it.
- Transformers, assemble! No luck with the initial test? Check those transformers! No voltage? Replace them. Retest the light connection after the makeover. Dim returns? It's cable time. We're on a mission for brighter lights.
- Process of elimination: Inspecting pool lights is like solving a mystery. If you're stumped, call a local electrician. They'll conduct tests and bring order to the electric chaos. Safety first, folks.
- Illuminate your paradise! By following these steps, your pool will transform into an enchanting oasis. Create magical summer memories with dazzling lights.
Got questions? Reach out to us anytime. We're here to make your pool the talk of the town.
Don't have LED pool lights yet? Check out our swimming pool lighting guide below to shed some light on the situation.
With the glorious days of warmer weather upon us, it's time to grab your floaties, dust off your shades, and prepare for a splashtastic season of poolside fun. To ensure you have full control over your desired swimming temperature and avoid any surprises, we present to you the ultimate pool heater checklist.
Trust us, you'll wonder how you ever survived without it! Let's dive right in:
Embrace the Heat (or the Chill): Take a moment to bask in the glory of your pool heater, the unsung hero of summer! Gently caress its smooth exterior and whisper, "You complete me." Remember, a happy pool heater means a happy swimmer.
Remember, our Water TechniX Heaters are able to both heat and cool your water. Your choice.
- "Liquid Blanket" Your Pool: Introducing the superhero of chemicals: Water TechniX Liquid Blanket! This magical elixir helps you combat water loss, heat loss, and soaring pool costs. It's like giving your pool a cozy blanket to snuggle under, ensuring maximum efficiency while reducing those pesky bills. Just pour it in and watch the savings flow!
- Plumbing Prodigy: Inspect those pipes like a pool detective! Check for leaks or cracks and fix them promptly. A pool heater with impeccable plumbing skills ensures you won't end up with a fountain of surprise in your backyard. And if there's there's a clog, there's always the Drain King to deal with it.
- Power Play: Power up your pool heater like a superhero unleashing their ultimate pool-heating powers. Ensure the electrical connections are secure and the power supply is stable. Remember, with great power comes great pool parties!
- Give It Some TLC: Show your pool heater some love with a good cleaning session. Remove any debris, dust, or unsuspecting critters that may have taken up residence. Your pool heater will thank you by keeping the water at the perfect temperature all summer long.
So, fellow pool enthusiasts, let's make this summer one for the books. Harness the power of your pool heater and conquer the swimming temperature like a boss. Remember, every pool heater customer (including yours truly) wonders how they managed to survive without this incredible invention.
No heat pump yet? Click the button below on our guide on how to correctly size a pool heat pump for your pool.
Cleaners and Pool Equipment
Summer's almost here, which means it's time to get your pool game in tip-top shape! Before you dive in, make sure your cleaning equipment is ready to roll with these tips:
- Give your gear a once-over for damage and rinse off any residue - you don't want any dirt in your swimsuit!
- Check your pool brushes for brittle bristles - if they're looking worse for wear, give them the boot and upgrade to a new one.
- Repair or replace any tears in your leaf skimmers, rakes, and shovels - because nobody likes a dirty pool!
- Make sure your telescopic pole hinges and locks aren't stuck from pool chemical residue - you don't want your pole to randomly change lengths as you clean.
- Thoroughly inspect your pool hoses for damage - because a damaged hose means that will pool cleaners will suck, well... not literally, or... yeah, you know what we mean.
- Don't forget to check your skimmer and pump baskets for cracks or damage - they're the first line of defense against debris and impeller damage.
- For automatic pool cleaners, check seals and O-rings and use silicone grease if necessary - because you don't want any leaks in your pool party!
- Get your automatic or robotic pool cleaner tuned up before the summer heat hits - because you need that baby in tip-top shape to tackle all that summer grime.
- And last but not least, if there's any damage, fix it ASAP so you're ready to make a splash all summer long!
For a more in-depth guide, you can click the button below or if you need specific help, don't hesitate to contact our support team.
Pool Chemical Levels
Now that everything is ready for summer, time to make sure that the pool is actually SAFE to swim in.
- First up, check your pH levels - you want them to be balanced like a tightrope walker!
- Next, make sure your chlorine levels are on point - because nobody wants a green pool that looks like it belongs in a swamp.
- Don't forget to shock your pool - it's like a caffeine hit for your water!
- Keep an eye on your alkalinity levels - because too much acidity will leave your pool feeling sour.
- Make sure your cyanuric acid levels are in check - they're like sunscreen for your chlorine!
- Keep your calcium hardness levels in line - because nobody likes a crusty pool.
- And last but not least, add a dose of algaecide and phosphate remover to keep those pesky green monsters at bay! Follow this checklist and your pool will be ready to handle whatever the Aussie summer throws its way!
Not sure on what the levels should be and what chemicals to use? Check out our pool Chemical 101 guide here.
Lastly, Host Happiness with Swimply
Now that you went through all of that to get your pool ready for summer, why not give back to your community by hosting families and balcning your pool expenses (and more) with your earnings?
You can do that in less than five minutes with Swimply. As a Swimply host, you can rent out your pool during those lazy, sun-soaked days when your pool's just chillin'. Think of it as pool Air b'n'b.
By following these simple steps, you’re essentially waking up your pool from its long winter nap. It’s best to get the pool 100% ready so that you and your family can enjoy uninterrupted pool fun the whole summer! It’s best to get everything clean and set at the start of summer so that the next time you’re planning a pool party, there won’t be any nasty surprises waiting for you.
Do you have any questions about this topic or the featured products? No worries, we're here to help! Drop us a question down below and we'll get back to you ASAP.
Happy swimming :)