Either by design or because they’re so used to pools already, there are some things that some pool builders will forget to mention to new pool owners (unless you have a really thorough pool builder). If you’re a new pool owner, or even if you’ve owned a pool for a while now, here are some things that are very useful to know for easier pool ownership.
General Things New Pool Owners should know about
- In Australia, pool safety precautions (fences and gates) are not optional!
- Have kids? You can easily kid-proof your pool!
- Unfamiliar with pool slang? Check out our A-Z of pool terminology here.
- Leave draining the pool to professionals! In-ground pools aren’t meant to be drained and improper draining may cause the pool to “pop” from the ground.
- Leaves and other debris in your pool aren’t just eyesores, but they deposit phosphates into your pool water as well which promotes algae growth!
- You can lose 1-2 inches of water per week during the summer in Australia. If you’re losing more than that then you may have a leak in your pool somewhere!
- You can prevent up to 90% of evaporative water loss with the use of a pool cover!
- You can get an automatic water leveling device to keep your water levels optimal the whole year round!
- LED Lighting technology has dropped in price over the years, if you’re thinking of adding lights to your pool then Energy-efficient LED lights are the way to go.
- No matter what you see on the internet, there are some things that you should NEVER do to your pool.
- Filter elements are not forever! Replace pool filter sand every 5 years or so, and filter cartridges every 1-2 years.
- Pool ownership isn’t cheap! Expect a bump on your water and power bills! Monitor and average your consumption for the first few months so you’ll have a good idea on how much you’ll be spending additionally on a monthly basis. Check your pool for leaks or other problems if you see an unusual increase in your bills.
- If you have a standard pool pump, you can save up to $900 a year if you switch it out for a variable-speed model! Don’t believe us? Here are the numbers to prove it.
- Robotic Pool Cleaners save you both time and money when it comes to pool maintenance and they’re worth every cent!
- To prevent your pool from overflowing when expecting heavy rains, you can partially drain your pool with the expected rainfall amount! Just don’t overdo it! And be sure to clean/check and rebalance your pool chemical levels afterward.
- Vacuuming your pool is not optional!
- Like swimming with your furry friends? Experts say that the bather load for one dog is equivalent to 50 people! Always clean your pump and skimmer baskets as well as your filters after every swimming session with pets!
- Pool heaters and heat pumps are only meant to warm the pool, if you want piping hot water, invest in a spa!
- Critters are naturally attracted to bodies of water, need help in keeping them away? Check out our guide here.
- Want more savings? One of the best ways to save money with pool ownership is to learn as much about your pool to avoid being oversold by pool shops!
- “Generic” pool products can sometimes perform as good as their OEM counterparts!
Pool Chemical Information for New Pool Owners
- You cannot balance the pool “by feel”. To get the safest and cleanest pool, always test your pool water before adding any pool chemical.
- Believe it or not, there is a “wrong” way to test your pool water!
- Clear pool water isn’t necessarily clean pool water, test your pool water at least once a week to ensure that your water is safe for swimming. Check out our ultimate guide to testing your pool water here.
- The UV rays from sunlight destroy chlorine! This is why stabiliser/cyanuric acid isn’t optional when it comes to outdoor pools.
- Too much stabiliser is also detrimental to your pool chlorine’s performance so don’t go overboard!
- Chlorine pucks already contain cyanuric acid so be sure to monitor your cyanuric acid levels when you’re using chlorine pucks.
- Contrary to what many people believe, salt water pools still utilise chlorine to sanitise it! You can read up on other salt water pool myths right here!
- Salt water chlorinators will only work if the pump is running!
- You don’t need to drain your pool to take care of heavy staining with our no-drain acid wash hack!
- Rain can greatly affect your pool water’s chemistry and can deposit debris in your pool that will promote algae growth.
Most important things for new owners to know about
- Mr Pool Man has a complete guide / directory of pool maintenance articles for new pool owners which you can check out here.
- And last but not least, you can always contact Mr Pool Man if you need help with any aspect of pool ownership! Simply give us a call or send us an email through the form below!
Do you have any questions about this topic or the featured products? No worries, we're here to help! Drop us a question down below and we'll get back to you ASAP.
Happy swimming :)